PFAN offers one-to-one business coaching to promising climate adaptation and clean energy projects in low- and middle-income countries, at no cost to the project developer.
Once a project is deemed investment-ready, it can be showcased to investors at an Investment Forum, or be provided with direct introductions to investors as well as facilitation and deal-making assistance by PFAN’s Investment Facilitation Team.
In cases where an investor has shown serious interest in a project but technical assistance is required to close the deal, for example when a feasibility or market study is needed, PFAN can offer this through its Tipping Point Technical Assistance service. A full description, eligibility criteria and guidelines for application for this service can be found here (PDF).
Further information on the coaching process
All accepted projects receive one-to-one coaching, at no cost, up to an agreed time.
The main objective of the coaching is to develop and refine an investment-ready business plan and related supporting documentation.
Coaching is provided by industry experts, consultants, advisors, as well as other members of the PFAN Network. The nominated coaches have extensive experience in providing advisory services to clean energy businesses across the globe.
Coaching input will be provided by e-mail, telephone exchange between the parties and also in some instances through face to face meetings and at project development and financing workshops.
Based on the evaluation score, projects will be categorised as Long Term Development Project, Investment Forum Ready project or Investment Facilitation project. Services offered vary according to the assigned category.
Coaching process for long-term development projects
The PFAN coaching process is dynamic, and Coaches may propose for projects to receive additional support from the Investment Facilitation Team or become an Investment Forum Project as and when they mature.
Regardless of which category a project is initially assigned to, the coaching service is structured to meet project development deliverables, and all projects should get a chance at investment facilitation once they have reached an appropriate level of maturity.
Coaching process for Investment Forum-ready projects
Investment Forum Ready projects are assigned a dedicated personal PFAN Coach and receive similar support to the pipeline projects as well as the following additional services and support:
- Participation in a dedicated Project Development & Financing Workshop to kick off the coaching work and provide important project development and investment guidance in a peer-group environment
If selected for showcasing at the Forum:
- Participation in a dedicated Preparatory Workshop to prepare the final Investment Pitch
- Showcasing to investors at the Investment Forum through presentation of the Investment Pitch and through poster sessions
- Participation in a business plan competition for the PFAN Climate & Clean Energy Financing Awards, judged by an independent panel of investors and experts.
Following the Investment Forum, high-performing projects with potential for investment will be put forward to receive Investment Facilitation support and / or participation in other investment facilitation events organised by PFAN and its partners.
- Provide expert investment facilitation and transaction structuring support to the Coach and/or the project;
- Identify additional potential investors in the PFAN global network and the investment Facilitation Team’s contact database and make targeted investor introductions;
- Work with the project and the Coach to increase the project’s appeal to investors;
- Support investment negotiations between the project developer, coach and introduced investors;
- Provide support and input for meeting due diligence and conditions precedent.
- Identify and prepare projects for inclusion in project portfolios for capital market investment.