Job Vacancy: Junior Analyst
Position: Junior Analyst, PFAN
Reports to: Senior Manager, PFAN
Hours: 40 Hours per week
Location: Vienna, Austria
Duration: Initial 6-month fixed-term contract, which shall become a permanent contract if it is continued by the parties beyond the fixed term
The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP) invests in clean energy markets in low- and middle-income countries to generate energy access, improve lives and economic opportunities, build sustainable markets, and combat climate change. REEEP is a Quasi-International Organisation under Austrian law operating in a growing international environment that is rapidly expanding in influence and impact. REEEP values innovation, cooperation and commitment and has a young and results-oriented team of about 25 staff at its International Secretariat in Vienna, Austria working hand-in-hand with partners based in our countries of implementation.
The primary obstacles to the large-scale deployment of low carbon, climate resilient technologies required are access to finance and limited pipeline of investment-ready projects. The large investment flows to achieve the transition at the speed and scale necessary to meet global climate and energy challenges can only be achieved by leveraging the private sector.
PFAN, hosted by the UN Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) in partnership with REEEP, matches financing with innovative low carbon, climate resilient projects in developing countries and emerging economies with a small public investment through a low-risk, low overhead networking model based on fixed fee project development, transaction advisory services, and investor forums, meeting a need recognized in international development and climate circles. PFAN supports companies for low carbon, climate resilient projects in the areas of upstream technology development and downstream technology deployment.
It mobilizes the expertise of private sector companies in financing climate-friendly projects and technologies to screen business plans and select the most economically viable and environmentally and socially beneficial projects. For the entrepreneurs and businesses selected, PFAN provides guidance on economic feasibility, project structure, investment and financing, preparation of the business plan, and introductions to investors.
About the Role
The Junior Analyst will support activities globally but focus on Sub-Saharan Africa as well as the Pakistan Private Sector Energy Project.
As Junior Analyst, he/she will have the opportunity to conduct initial evaluations on incoming application submissions to PFAN among other analysis-related tasks and become a specialist in a selected area.
- Ensure a smooth workflow processing for PFAN project development and investment facilitation as part of the PFAN Team maintaining the planned timelines, including:
- Administering project proposal submissions by conducting initial reviews of clean energy and climate adaptation business plans and financial models in collaboration with the Senior Manager;
- Coordinating the application evaluation processes; coordinating the Technical Committee approval process and updating project records based on the outcomes of the Technical Committee Review;
- Generating and administering contracts for coaching, and other project-related activities, e.g. Country Coordinator agreements, in coordination with the legal counsel;
- Overseeing and processing coaching and project deliverables, invoices and travel requests from PFAN Advisors and Country Coordinators;
- Managing PFAN Network Membership Accession while maintaining an active working relationship with members in the respective regions;
- Support execution of in person and hybrid investment forums, workshops, capacity building events, investor roadshows, networking events and PFAN event modules working closely with partner organizations; act as the liaison with PFAN Coordinators, Advisors and project developers, including logistics;
- Create capacity building material as well as organize and conduct webinars and trainings about PFAN’s processes, and the use of PFAN’s workflow management system;
- Respond to general queries from the PFAN Network or Project Developers managing the support inboxes;
- Other cross-cutting activities such as: coordinating and managing procurements, completing registrations, maintaining PFAN’s partnership database, supporting invoice booking;
- Support the Implementation of PFAN Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Strategy and Framework into operations to support all reporting requirements, including:
- Processing qualitative and quantitative data from investment forums, workshops, capacity building events, investor roadshows and networking events, other presentations and online surveys;
- Integrating PFAN pipeline data into the GHG mitigation tool, ongoing pipeline data entry and reporting in GHG calculation tools;
- Supporting the development of PFAN Knowledge Management documents to ensure dissemination of best practices and lessons learned across the regions;
- Drafting Quarterly Reports to donors with programme-related data from PFAN’s workflow management system, GHG mitigation and PFAN Coordinators quarterly reports as inputs;
- Conducting and supporting the due diligence process of the PFAN’s workflow management system to ensure high quality and consistency of data in PFAN’s workflow management system.
- Support other detailed and administrative tasks required and delegated by PFAN Management.
About the Profile
- Post-graduate university degree in a relevant field, i.e. renewable energy, engineering, finance, development studies, economics or related areas, or an undergraduate degree with 1-2 years relevant experience.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to think creatively, analytically and strategically, and work pro-actively to assist in planning and problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- High proficiency with MS Office package
- A passion for the clean energy and climate adaptation sectors
- Ability to work precisely and efficiently
- Reliable, hardworking and committed
- The ability to learn quickly and understand different working cultures
- Experience working with Sub-Saharan Africa or Pakistan
- A working knowledge of the clean energy sector and/or climate adaptation in developing countries and related business models
- Good communication skills in French
About the Package
For this 40h/week full time position, REEEP offers an annual salary of EUR 33,600 gross due to Austrian social security deduction but currently free of income tax due to REEEP’s status as “Quasi-International Organisation”).
Further current benefits include:
- Five weeks of annual holidays
- Official UN Holidays as well as Austrian bank holidays (approx. 14 days a year)
- Generous home office and flexible working policy, with the possibility to work for a limited period from abroad
- Legitimation card for non-EU citizens, permitting the employee (and his/her partner) to work and live in Austria for the duration of the employment at REEEP
- Paid lunch break of max 45 min
- Subsidized canteen, offering a choice of freshly prepared menus
- Yearly CPI (inflation) adjustment of the salary
- Annual public transportation card for Vienna
- Access to courses offered by the UN (e.g. language courses, participation in sports and charitable groups and many more)
The desired starting date is 1st April, 2023.
The REEEP offices are located in the Vienna International Centre (“UN City”) in Vienna, Austria. REEEP is not in the position to cover relocation costs or any other travel costs incurred, e.g. for job interviews.
REEEP is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard for age, gender, race, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.
About the Application
Applicants are kindly requested to address their CV, motivation letter and any supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only complete and timely submitted applications will be considered, and that only short-listed candidates will receive individual communication. The selection procedure may include a written test.
Application deadline: 5th March 2023 (23:59 CEST)
This is an advertisement for a full-time staff position. Please do not contact us unless you are applying for a position. Solicitations from service providers and brokers will be deleted and marked as spam.
By sending us your application, you consent to the processing of your personal data indicated in your application documents and related correspondence. Your application is treated strictly confidentially and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your personal data and application documents are only shared with REEEP staff and REEEP Governing Board members of the evaluation committee directly involved in the application process. In exceptional cases, recruitment processes include panel interviews which involve external members. If you are invited to such a panel interview, your application documents will also be shared with external panellists to allow them to prepare for the interview. REEEP will store your personal data and documents until six months after the application process has been completed, unless you consent to REEEP keeping your application in evidence for future job openings. Please see our Privacy Statement for further information on your rights under the GDPR and REEEP’s contact data.